Thursday, March 14, 2019

Transcendental Waitressing

I read the work of the monk, Hahn,
all the way from Vietnam:

“If everyone gave up grain alcohol & meat,
there would be enough arid soil,
to grow food for all people to eat.”

So, I gave up beef and booze,
and lost my job.
Because I worked at a bar,
and my coworkers were pretty sure,
my abstinence was judgement.
But, that’s not how I meant it--
I wanted to sustain the right,
to go back to beef and booze,
if the need presented.

I read Robert Thurman’s interpretation,
of the Tibetan Mother Meditation:

“Look in the eyes of all people
as though they were your mother,
because when we nurture life,
we give birth to one another.”

But, not everyone’s mother taught, 
that love is the answer.
So, I stare at a spot,
above this man’s eyes,
where his balding forehead
is bearing skin cancer.
And, pitying the vulnerability in him, 
I forgive my own.
Because otherwise,
I can’t atone
for my dismay
at the rude way
he orders lunch
every day. 

I read the Dalai Lama,
and for a while,
gave up on all drama-- 
save for the histrionics 
of the woman in furs
who suddenly demurs:
“This food is no good.”
She takes me to task,
I just smile.

“Have you tried beef and booze?” I ask.



No comments: