Saturday, February 9, 2019

EDGAR ETHAN ALLEN POETRY



I dreamt of a staircase, cascading down a hill.
Crafted of dark, auburn driftwood
 the steps curled into a highway at dusk. 
I began to twirl
downwards, 
delighted,
or (at least) 
nonplussed.

Headlights turned on 
pointing up
from the off-ramp below
highlighted broad strokes of lacquer
across stairs I thought safer, and deeper in span.
So, I ran quicker, 
to keep apace
down a surface not steeper but slicker, 
than that for which I had originally planned. 

On the first step, I was jay-bird naked, 
On the next, wrapped in a warm grey blanket. 
On the third, in a golden swimsuit with leopard’s spots, 
that mirrored endless whirlpools 
of the wood’s burnished, black knots.   

So, it went
down in ‘uniformity,’
until I became unaware,
of appearances
and saw beyond the last stair,
 a ravine where, 
the remains of a desk presented:

Four shattered legs upended.

A porcelain Rose pierced
the center of its protruding drawer.
My instinct to flight relented, 
and I settled down for the night. 
The sweet-smell of decomposition  
lifting from the earth’s tender floor:

And the world began to right. 







No comments: